Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sneaky Chef Muffins :)


So this one I'm extremely excited about! Not only did I get to sneak spinach and blueberries into a very tasty cupcake, I also made homemade frosting that contains less sugar and is packed with lots of protein and calcium. Super mom for the day, check. Thank you sneakychef.com. There are a lot of steps to this, but you can find them all on her website... which encouraged me to purchase her book, well worth it!
First off, you have to make your puree. Totally simple, and she suggests making a bunch in advance so its readily available. To get the recipe for the puree, go to sneakychef.com, then go to the free recipes tab and click all recipes. Find the make ahead recipe for purple puree.
Make sure to involve your little helper...
Next follow the recipe called "Quick Fix for Chocolate Cake Mix" which omits the oil for the puree and adds wheat germ.
If you feel like making your own frosting, here's the recipe
Makes about 3/4 cup
1 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Mix dry milk and powdered sugar in a bowl, then add the boiling water and vanilla extract. Mix very well. If needed, add a little more water, half a teaspoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.

In the end, the cupcake wasn't bad at all... My husband and I agreed that it wasn't as sweet as following the original recipe for the cake mix. If I did it again I'd probably use regular frosting, saving the frosting recipe shown above for regular cupcakes.... but Aubrey didn't seem to notice the difference.

1 comment:

  1. Rissa melted chocolate chips on the top of hers, no frosting needed. I know, Not healthy... but they all loved them!

    ReplyDelete