Sunday, January 2, 2011

Colored Pasta with Grayson!



I am lucky to have people following my blog and also willing and ready to make contributions. This project was done by my sister and her son Grayson in El Paso. Thanks a bunch for the neat ideas!


Making Colored Pasta
Make colored pasta for hands on toddler activities. Recognizing
colors, numbers (math), and sorting.
Materials:
Pasta of Various Shapes
Plastic
ziplock bags
Alcohol
Food Color of various shades
*
Vanilla Wafers optional :) (It made it into my photo)
Measuring spoon
aluminum foil or wax paper
Paper towels


Place one cup of pasta in ziplock bag. You can mix types (what I
did) or make each type a different color. Put 1 Tbsp of Alcohol and drop 8-10 drops of food color into ziplock bag. (Mommy does this part, food color will STAIN)! Seal ziplock bag and

Give to baby and let them shake it, turning it over and over
and/or smash it between hands. G danced while shaking his bags of
pasta!! I had to take each bag a do a little more shake and smash to
distribute the
food coloring better.

Let bag of pasta sit on a paper towel for 10 min, turn bag over
and let sit for another 10 minutes. (For deeper color let it sit 10
minutes longer... but no longer than that).

Place foil on cookie sheet. Carefully pour out colored pasta and
spread it out for faster drying and discard bag.
Let the pasta dry thoroughly before putting pasta into containerAlign Centeror bag for storage.

Tips and Suggestions:
Experiment with the pasta and food color dye. I had to add extra blue
so the pasta looked more blue than purple. Some colors looked similar
and my "purple" ended up looking black.

Once pasta is dyed, it is NO LONGER EDIBLE!! Watch the young ones!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks sis! Looks like Grayson had fun! Sooo cute that he was dancing... like Mama much?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he was mimicking his Mama! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a minute I thought Tabatha was in Truckee... and I had to stop and think about this one... she HATES the snow, and there were NO pictures of the kids together. So, I'm guessing she isn't there. Cute idea girls! Love you both.

    ReplyDelete