Sunday, July 10, 2011

Book Sling






Knowing that our small space will soon house another bouncing bundle, I'm slowly taking steps to better use what space we have. As I was looking for ideas I came across this treasure and just had to make one for Aubrey! This super easy book sling requires no sewing (though, it couldn't hurt) and provides a perfect spot for your child's favorite bedtime stories if hung near their bed. If I happen to stumble across some extra time, I'll probably add some appliqués to fancy it up. In the mean time, here are the directions...

Materials
Iron
48x32 inch piece of fabric (though, make whatever length you want)
2 - 48x6 inch lengths of iron-on adhesive
2- double curtain rod brackets
2- 48 inch long dowels with diameters that fit your brackets... Or match whatever length you chose... I actually just purchased a double curtain rod set that had two rods and two brackets, looks really nice and isn't too much more expensive.

So first wash, dry, and iron your fabric. Put the printed side, fold it in half lengthwise and iron in a crease

Unfold the fabric so that the printed side is still down... On the long edges iron on your strips of adhesive as shown in the picture above. Follow the instructions specific to your adhesive, I used heatnbond. Once added to the edges, take off paper, fold the fabrics long edges toward the center crease, and iron together, turning fabric to iron on printed side. When done right, this should allow a channel for dowels to go through. I also went ahead and added a seam to the short edges too, just to make it look more finished, you would just do this part first, then do the long seams... If you're not interested in this extra step you can just cut the short edges with pinking shears, about an inch from each side.

I had my husband do this next part, putting up the brackets to make sure they're level and the perfect distance apart. This will take a level and a tape measure... You know, man tools :)

This was a super easy project that both Aubrey and I love... A great way to utilize the wall space above your child's bed.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment