Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Easy Tutu's

Aubrey's birthday is right around the corner. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE dressing Aubrey in ridiculous things for her birthday, a tradition I started just last year, but plan to continue until shes old enough to stop me! Our plan is to go down the mountain and hang out with family and I have a lot of nieces. That said, I thought it'd be extra fun if this year I made tutu's for all the girlies. The perk, they're so simple! I didn't even break a sweat making five tutus!
Materials
Rolls of tulle, found in the wedding section of your local craft store
Thin headbands
Large Book... or back of chair...get creative
Ribbon
Ruler or cutting mat
Scissors or craft cutter
First, measure and cut your tulle in 14 inch pieces. You can work it however you'd like, but I liked cutting all the tulle strips first, in two different colors, keeping them separate for now. That way I don't have to keep going back to this step.
Once your strips of tulle are ready grab one strip of color A and then stack one strip of color B on top of it. Next, hold them together and tie them onto your headband, as shown above (yes I'm wearing pajamas, judge me later). Keep doing this until you've tied tulle all the way around the headband. You can push the strips tightly together, or spread them out more, depending on how full you want your tutu... er, I mean, your child's tutu!
Once you've done that, you can spruce up this sassy skirt but adding strips of ribbon. To do this, cut 10 inch pieces of ribbon and distribute them evenly amongst the headband. Just tie them in the same way you tied the tulle. I'd say around 10-12 pieces of ribbon would suffice. I used two different types of ribbon on this one.
And there you are... the tutu is complete and ready to wear.

1 comment:

  1. I made these for a friend of mine. totally didn't take long at all!

    ReplyDelete