Thursday, December 30, 2010

2011 Disco Ball Centerpiece


I was feeling brave today. Maybe because it's only day one of 365 days of activities, so I haven't tired myself out yet. My original plan was to wait until January 1st to start my New Years resolution.... I'm pretty sure that's standard. But I saw a disco ball quite similar to this one that Aubrey and I did together (only it used pins, not glue) and I thought... "Well I don't really want a disco ball, but that looks so festive." So I warped it a bit and made it my own. Enjoy...



Materials
  • Glue and a brush to paint it on the ball
  • Craft Sequence
  • Styrofoam ball, whatever size you'd like
  • and, as you'll soon find out... a glue gun :)
Next, because I didn't want a disco ball, I sliced a little piece of the bottom off of the ball so that it will sit flat... I just used a big hefty knife to get the job done. This part was done by Mama only, no baby assistance!

Now its finally time for Aubrey to join in on the fun. I poured glue into a little plate and showed her how to use her sponge brush to paint the ball with glue. This was a big hit! She probably would've been okay to just do that all day. It's because she enjoyed this step so much, that I didn't take it out.
Next we put on the sequence piece by piece, which got a little tedious. That's where the glue gun comes in. Fortunately, "Hot" was one of my daughters first words, and she is very aware that when something it hot that means we don't touch it.
Rather than put them on piece by piece, I would go over sections with my glue gun and we would sprinkle big handfuls of sequence on, one section at a time. This proved way more efficient. Once we got a thick coat of sequence on, as not to burn me, I'd press down and then shake off the excess. We did this until we covered the entire ball, minus the bottom.

Aubrey was content with her project and had her fair share of fun and decided to call it quits. While she was off playing I made the 2011 sign and glued it to lollipop sticks that I stuck into the ball. Viola! a festive centerpiece to bring in the new year :0)


1 comment:

  1. This is super cute! Looks like Aubrey had some fun. I love this idea. I bet little Miss Aubrey is loving it to!

    ReplyDelete